- What are my chances of being admitted for the fall versus spring?
- Will you look at my high school grades and courses or just college work?
- Is the SAT or ACT required for admission?
- If I'm an international student. Do I need to take the TOEFL?
- What is the average GPA for an admitted transfer student?
- Do I need to submit a portfolio for the School of Architecture?
- How many students from Virginia Community College do you take?
Transfer of Credit
- What courses should I take?
- How can I find out what credits will transfer?
- Does AP credit count towards the required 24 credits?
- What does the intermediate level of foreign language mean?
- I am interested in business. Where do I appy?
- Do I have to have all of the Commerce requirements completed to apply?
- As a VCCS student, what course should I take to satisfy the non-western perspective requirement?
- If I do not have all of the requirements for the guaranteed admission agreement with the Virginia community college, can I still be admitted?
- Can I use the guaranteed agreement to enter UVA in the spring?
- Do I have to have all of my courses finished by the spring in order to be admitted under the agreement?
- If I am a VCCS GAA Engineering Applicant, which computer science course should I plan to take?
- Do I have to finish my associates degree in two years when applying under the guaranteed admission agreement?
- Can I apply for the Commerce school and use the VCCS Guaranteed Admission Agreement as a back-up in case I am not admitted?
What are my chances of being admitted for the fall versus spring?
We tend to admit 35-40% of the transfer applicants who apply to start at UVA in the fall.
Admission for the spring semester is more competitive. You may apply for the spring semester if you are interested in the College of Arts & Sciences, Architectural History, or Urban and Environmental Planning. Typically, we receive 300 applications for 35 spots in the College of Arts and Sciences. There are a few spots available in the Architecture School.
Will you look at my high school grades and courses or just college work?
We look equally at your high school record and your college work if you are applying as a second year student. If you are applying as a third year student, we look primarily at your college work.
Is the SAT or ACT required for admission?
Submitting SAT or ACT scores is optional for transfer students unless they are applying to the McIntire School of Commerce or the Teacher Education program in the Curry School of Education. Students applying to Commerce must submit the SAT or ACT (and the TOEFL or IELTS for international students). Students applying to the Curry School of Education must submit results from the SAT, ACT or PRAXIS exam. Please see Curry’s website for minimum score requirements.
If I'm an international student. Do I need to take the TOEFL?
The TOEFL or IELTs are recommended if English is your second language and you did not go to high school in an English speaking school. The TOEFL can be used in place of the SAT or ACT.
What is the average GPA for an admitted transfer student?
The average college GPA for an admitted transfer student is 3.5. Students aren't admitted just based on a GPA, though. Having the proper courses on your transcript is important.
Do I need to submit a portfolio for the School of Architecture?
Yes. The Common Application will allow you to submit a portfolio through SlideRoom.
How many students from Virginia Community Colleges do you take?
Nearly half of the 600 transfer students who enroll in the fall started their higher education in the Virginia Community College System.
What courses should I take?
Students should take courses that satisfy the area and proficiency requirements for the school at UVA they are applying to. The area and proficiency requirements can be found on the Transfer Course Requirements page.
How can I find out if my credit will transfer?
Does AP credit count towards the required 24 credits?
No, you must have 24 credits of college coursework.
What does the intermediate level of foreign language mean?
The intermediate level is typically equal to four semesters or the 202 level.
I am interested in business, where do I apply?
If you have an interest in business and you are currently in your first year of college, you would apply to the College of Arts and Sciences as Pre-Commerce. If you are currently in your second year of college, you would apply to the McIntire School of Commerce.
Do I have to have all of the Comm requirements completed before applying?
You must complete all of the Commerce required courses prior to enrolling in August. Some students are admitted and then take the final course or two over the summer prior to the start of classes in August.
If I do not have all of the requirements for a guaranteed admission agreement with the Virginia community college can I still be admitted?
Yes, most of the students enrolling at UVA each year are missing something in the agreement and are therefore not coming in under the guarantee plan.
Do I have to have all of my courses finished by the spring in order to be admitted under a guaranteed admission agreement?
Yes, if you are hoping to come in under one of the three agreements, all of your courses must be completed by the spring semester prior to fall matriculation.
Can the guaranteed agreements be used to enter UVA in the spring?
No, the agreements can only guarantee admission for the fall semester.
Do I have to finish my associates degree in two years when applying under a guaranteed admission agreement?
No, the agreements states that in order to be eligible, you must apply to UVA within two years of earning your degree. So, you can take as long as you like to complete the degree. You only have two years of eligibility after earning it.
Can I apply for the Commerce school and use the Guaranteed Admission Agreements as a back-up in case I am not admitted?
No. In applying to transfer, you must select one school. You cannot apply to Commerce and use the GAA for other schools simultaneously.
If I am a VCCS GAA Engineering Applicant, which computer science course should I plan to take?
CSC 201, EGR 125 and EGR 126 most closely align with our curriculum. If you are thinking of pursuing Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Systems Engineering, we recommend CSC 201.
As a VCCS student, what course should I take to satisfy the non-western perspective requirement?
Please see the list of courses.
Are there any specific housing options for transfer students?
The University of Virginia is pleased to offer a residential community designed to provide new transfer students to the University with a supportive and engaging residential experience. Clusters of incoming transfers will live on floors with returning upper-class students, thereby providing the dual benefit of the support of fellow transfer students who are also experiencing the transition, and of experienced UVA students who can help new transfers to engage with the broader University community. Resident Advisors (RAs) and Transfer Student Peer Advisors (TSPAs) will collaborate to provide a breadth of residential programming designed to assist transfer students with academic planning, University community involvement, meeting peers, and taking advantage of all of the academic and extracurricular opportunities that the University has to offer.